Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

WED 2 MAR 2011 10:55am 
Haven't sat down to write for a few days. It's been a busy time. Went to Duane's marathon 48 hour guitar playing gig a couple of times and had the honour of sitting in for a few songs.  He did a great job, brought the community together to raise money for a good cause, focused attention on the musicians of Norfolk and surrounds and, I hope, gave a good deserving boost to his own music career.

I've started recording again. Bought a book which is a big help in using Garageband. If only for the small details that could take hours to find out on your own. I never find help on computer programs very easy to understand.  But, I did some overdubbing which worked quite well. I was happy with the resulting piece of music. It could be the theme song for the little podcast I'm working on.. Looking forward to doing more today.

Got a surprise from Jazz.fm. We get to go to a movie about Allan Lomax , the Gatherer of Songs, at the station on Friday. And not only that but it's being screened by Ross Porter. I've been listening to his singular gravely tones for years.  As Jackie says, in a business based on the voice, his really stands out. He hosted the late night jazz show on the Mother Corp and now is head honcho at Jazz.fm 91.1.

SAT 05 MAR 2011 4:08pm
We didn't go to the screening because they had to change the movie, and I wasn't that interested in the other one. And it was calling for freezing rain, so we 'll wait. They said it will be shown in the future. Hope I'm not working.

Went on a good drive the other day and got some photos to put on the blog. Today I was a bit bored and was thinking about doing a self-portrait. I realized my tripod was in the car and it was gone, so I got the idea of shooting my reflection in a mirror. And it worked. It's a bit of hit and miss and hard to set controls, but after quite a few attempts I got some I liked.
This was the first one and showed possibilities.

Really hard to frame with any accuracy.

That's better.

I like this one the best. Interesting angle and it looks like music flowing into my ear.


The car was gone because Jackie went to an event where they are collecting underwear for women in Haiti. It's an item they just can't get and that undermines their dignity. It's been over a year since the earthquake. To learn more about this effort called We Care With Underwear, have a look at this short video.








Right at this moment in time I feel good about myself and my situation. Doesn't mean everything is perfect. But, I feel in control of what affects me and what doesn't. I'm not jumping through anyone's hoops and I'm not even allowing myself to sabotage my happiness. I could still bemoan a thousand things if I allowed myself to do that. But, it's much better to celebrate what is good; meanwhile you can work on the rest but don't let it spoil what is good.
My philosophical rant for the week.

2 comments:

  1. I like the mirror pic of you. I can't wait to hear your podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it too.
    Don't expect the podcast too soon. But,I'm working on it. You'll be the first to know.

    ReplyDelete