Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

A BUSY WEEK

THUR 09 FEB 2012 3:53pm  This has been quite a week or so. We went for a walk to the cliff today. Strong wind, hard to stand at the cliff top without being pushed back. Sunny though, not like February at all.

I've been critiquing the other student's scenes for the writing course. I find it really hard to do, but it's coming. Reading the others students' critiques gives me a clue to what's expected.

Yesterday I met Lori for brunch at the Harmony. Then went to Simcoe library to show her what it's like. We have an mutual affinity for the book depositories, having met at a library-tech course.

On Saturday I attended a house concert featuring the BarnKats, a great bluegrass band. Then over to Duane's Rutter's 50 hour Guitarathon. I played with him for a good space of time and really enjoyed it. Matt, my son, met me there. The next day I went back for the finale, and Duane did indeed go for the full 50 hours, collecting enough in donations to send 4 kids to camp.

On the Friday I went to visit my brother George and his wife Topi. Helen was there as well as Robin and Blaine and Melita. We had a long-overdo visit. George and I spent a good hour looking over the names and pictures in ancestry.ca; all the aunts, uncles and cousins we haven't seen for years.

The other day we went to the main beach in Port Burwell. The dunes are growing nicely behind the beach, and gaining vegetation. The pier is being fixed up for the arrival of the decommissioned submarine that's to come this summer.
The growing dunes

The old signal light

Front of light


SAT 11 FEB 2012 9:43pm  Finally got a good snow storm today. It went from bare ground to about a foot of snow over night, along with high winds that really piled up the drifts. We decided against a trip to Toronto we had planned.

Later in the day I went into town for something and all of a sudden found myself traveling sideways. I steered three times into the slide and finally got it under control. Spending time in a ditch is so inconvenient, it's best to avoid it.

Got a missive from Westie last night. She's the little port town girl who's been sending me her thoughts about life. I'm hoping she'll stay with me long enough to fill a book with her story. It is almost like automatic writing with her. When I'm calm and relaxed, sometimes almost asleep, she starts talking. And if I'm smart I listen and write it down.

Also watched Pleasantville today. It's one of my favourites. It involves going back in time to the squeaky clean 1950s and finding it's not so great. It's an allegory that never makes a misstep, a perfect film.

Now Jackie and I are both winding down, getting ready for the long mid-winter nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment