Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

OF BLUES AND BEACHES

TUES 26 JULY 2011 2:48pm Sitting in McD's using the Wi-Fi to watch a couple of videos. It's such a change from home where they buffer out after a few seconds.

Saturday night we went to Neighbours restaurant in Port Rowan to take in one of Duane Rutter's on-going series of singers and players. It was a great show featuring bluesman Brian Cober from Toronto, master of the double slide. Really well-crafted and fun original songs and his spot-on cover of Robert Johnson's Crossroads was downright spooky with sheet lightning in the windows behind him providing the light show. We bought his CD Real Far Gone, and it's smokin'. Find it here.

After a set he and Duane played off each other for a truly special treat for guitar lovers. 

Duane has just released his new CD Never Bet The Devil Your Head. It's literally home-grown, recorded in a tiny room in his house with the equipment at hand. All instruments and vocals are by Duane. The full story is in the liner notes.  And it's great! Check it out for sure, here.

Sunday was hot and humid again and we took full advantage of it. It was one of the laziest days in memory. Usually one of us cracks and gets up to do something, but not this time. As J says that's what people do when they go on holidays, sit around, read, drink beer, and just relax to the max. She didn't say the last part, that's me. So, once I got the concept I was able to really relax. And it was great. Lot's of reading. People talk about their summer reading and that's what they mean. Not a few lines before falling asleep like usual, but all day long. I like this.

Yesterday I went to our beach. There hasn't been much of one this year, but I found there was a fair amount of beach showing after you walked around a bit of a point and through the water.  I found some nice glass. Not a lot but enough to keep me interested. Since I hadn't been down for a while the trip up the cliff just about did me in. But, in all, a good time.

Later we went to the beach in Burwell, the main beach, which is now cut off from the general public by the Provincial Park. You can still get onto it but there is a No Trespassing sign. Jackie walked for a ways and I, having already had a big walk today, stayed behind to take some pics, having remembered to bring my camera.    

I have to confess I did a real Mr.Bean today. I was in the Home buying among other things a toilet plunger. We lost ours. So, having to choose among a few I picked one and stuck it to the floor. Very good suction – I couldn't pull it up. A large biker type was ambling down the aisle and I'm pulling on this handle. Finally I gave it a swift kick to break the suction and it gave. I picked it up and said “It works.” He sort of smiled.



Here's some photos from our walk on Port Burwell main beach.





Jackie's leaving me behind. A real fast mama.

Vegetation left to aid in building the dunes.

Swing around the other way and there's the break-wall.


Getting close up and personal with the break-wall
Even closer.

OK, back off a bit.

Ye olde beacon.

Heading out to the hungry fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment