Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

DANCING THE NIGHT AWAY

TUES 25 JAN 2011 5:00pm Well, that weekend really knocked me out. It was great though. Of course, we had our little holiday, going on a Jazz Safari with Jaymz Bee from Jazzfm, a listener supported station. We made a donation and as a thank you got to go on board the Magic Bus to 5 clubs and listen to some great players in all styles. Since we are learning to dance we were hoping to try it out but most clubs don't have the facilities for dancing.

One did though, the Dovercourt which was 3 floors of dancing. We went to the Lindy Hop which was amazing. All ages bopping around to a live swinging band under lights in a big (no, a huge, compared to others) room. It felt like a high school dance in the 50s or whenever. Young people all dressed in their thrift shop best with suspenders and fedoras. We'll definitely try to return.

Also went to an exclusive country club with a band made of top players in the TO scene. We got to partake of a dessert and coffee table there. We sat around the edge as the toffs dug into their meals. The band hadn't played together before but the singer brought her lead sheets and used subtle signs to direct them and they sounded like they'd played together for years.


In between shows as we rode the bus, Jaymz entertained us with stories of jazz players he's known and his ideas for future get-to-gethers for donators. A fair number of couples had been on one or more safaris. We might end up on another one.


We stayed at the Isabella, which is an old mansion (1891) with a 7 story tower added in 1914. The original spiral staircase is still there. There is an elevator but we only took it once, it was very small and slightly claustrophobic.  The rooms are very small also but were fine. It had all you needed. There was a breakfast in the lounge in the morning. I went down first and sat reading the paper and enjoying the food and coffee. Jackie decided to go down later and I went with her.


The night before we left the car there and took the subway and streetcar to the first club.  Got there without too much trouble. It is a good way to get around once you get the hang of it. If I lived in the city I would forget about driving.

On Sunday we went to our friend Karen's where we had brunch, nicely prepared by her. Then I went for a very cold walk while she interviewed Jackie for a documentary she's doing about women and love.

Then we headed home. Got back after 6pm. Holiday at an end but really enjoyed. Monday we were practically comatose all day.

THURS 27 JAN 2011 11:32am 
Really good dance class last night. It's hard to believe that after all this time we're finally getting the hang of it. We seem to have the Waltz under control. Not surprising since I grew up watching my parents who were experts. They grew up in a era when everyone danced. That's what they did for fun. Even in their 80s they danced weekly at the North Bay Golden Age Club, and flew around the dance floor. My Mother tried to teach me at various times when I was younger, but I guess I was too embarrassed to really put my mind to it. It's too bad because I would have enjoyed school dances more.  Note to young guys: Girls love to dance!  


Today I've started something I've thought about but haven't done much. When I write in here I set the timer for half an hour, and then set the timer for 20 minutes and practice piano, and so on. So, everything I do I only have to think about that one task and I can concentrate fully on it without worrying about other things. I don't stay overly long on one thing (like Facebook or emails) and in the end get much more done. It's like multi-tasking but only doing one thing at a time. Much more efficient, I think.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Love,
    As ballroom dancers - we are finally 'getting it together' - pun intended. /j

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been a great time. I remember when I used to dance. I look up now and see my favorite picture of mom and dad dancing at the club. I am glad you and Jackie are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we'll have to go out dancing sometime.

    ReplyDelete